Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Blueberry picking is dangerous work.

One of my favorite things about summer is berry picking. I don't get to do it as often as I would like, but when I do, I go all out. This past weekend, the boyfriend and I went up to Butlers Orchard to pick some yummy berries. (More info on Butler's Pick Your Own here.)

Between the two of us, we left with quite a hull. One pound of blueberries and almost three pounds of blackberries to be exact. Not to mention a horrible insect sting on the back of my knee. The little bastard landed there and when I went to bend down, I smooshed him, and he stung me in retaliation. Word to the wise: WEAR BUG SPRAY and use a bucket or an old coffee can when picking blackberries. We had used our re-usable nylon produce bags and they were squishing the berries. I had to dispose of the evidence. Nom nom nom.

So. Now that I have all these damn berries, what to do?

The blackberries are up for discussion and I could really use some suggestions.

As for the blueberries, behold, the best darn cobbler this side of your mom's house. That's right. I said it. My cobbler is better than your mom's cobbler.

Blueberry Cobbler

What you need:
3 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup butter (or Earth Balance for the vegans), room temp
1 egg (or egg replacement for the vegans)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon or apple pie spice

What you do:
In an 8 inch square baking dish, mix blueberries, 3 tablespoons sugar, and orange juice. Let soak for 30-60 minutes.

In a small bowl, thoroughly mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a medium bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are combined. Add a tablespoon of flour if the batter is a little runny. Pour over blueberry mixture.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Check after 30 minutes and add more time if needed.

2 comments:

Meagan said...

I found this receipe on line for blackberry jam. http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/08/how-to-make-blackberry-or-raspberry-jam/
Once you make the jam you can use it in cookies, pies, cakes... whatever you want.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

No Photos???