Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Work it!

I love my new kitchen. Everything is placed perfectly and there is plenty of counter space. It's also the fist thing I unpacked when we moved to our new apartment.

After many nights of making quick dinners and eating out, I was ready to get to work and start trying new recipes! This past Sunday, I woke up bright and early to make a fabulous breakfast for Tim and myself. We worked really hard the day before and I felt we deserved a nice treat.


Please excuse the blurry picture. My camera was packed at the time. This was taken with my silly droid camera.

Strawberry Panko Muffins (Inspired by a recipe found on foodbuzz.com)

What you need:
2/3 cup softened margarine
2/3 cup fine sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
Ener-G equivalent to 2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of panko flakes
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup of water
Slices strawberries
1 tsp vanilla sugar
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

What you do:
Mix the margarine, sugar and salt until smooth. Beat in the vanilla and eggs.

Add the panko and yeast and mix well. Slowly add the water until the mixture becomes sticky. Add chopped strawberries.

Half fill a 12 cup muffin tray with the mixture. Top each bit with some berries for beautifulness.

Give the batter time to double in size. This should take about an hour on a relatively warm day. You can place the muffin tin in the oven with the light on ONLY if there is a chill in the air. Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and set aside. (Obviously I did not wait long enough. My muffins were kind of flat, but still tasty.)

Once the mixture has risen (all the way), preheat the oven to 370 degrees. Sprinkle the top with the brown sugar, vanilla sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and let the muffins cool for about 5-10 minutes. Remove from muffin tin carefully and enjoy! These little beauties go great with coffee or tea!

No comments: