Monday, December 06, 2010

Tis the season for baking!

My amazing mother is my biggest baking inspiration. My friends used to call her Betty Crocker. Some still do to this day. She is a machine. Especially around the holidays. I distinctly remember holiday tins filled with cookies, lemon bars and homemade fudge covering the dining room table as far as the eye could see. Adorably decorated snowman and santa shaped sugar cookies we always a favorite (I still have some of the old copper cookie cutters). From the end of November until the first week of January, the entire house would smell like a bakery. The sugary-sweet aroma would even make it's way into my book bag and follow me to school and to dance class. Pure bliss!

Alas, these days are long gone. I have left the nest and my parents have followed the other retirees to Florida. However, this year, I will do my best to re-create the cookie madness that my mother inflicted on our old kitchen. I will bake to my hearts content and try to fill some cookie tins. I will make the essentials, like my grandmothers snickerdoodles and peanut butter kisses. I will also add some new surprises like a cranberry fruit bar (take that lemon!). Bear with me as I stumble through the next couple weeks of baking.



Yeah. That's the stuff.

What are some of your favorite holiday cookies and treats?

No comments: